Monday, September 12, 2011

Cherry-creamcheese Filled Rolls



Several weeks ago, my darling husband made something called Powidl.  Proportions without instructions follow, but the important quote is "It is an old saying that buns have to swim in butter so you will be able to tear them apart easily."  The book, and I'm not sure how faithfully he followed the recipe, was "The Viennese Pastry Cookbook by Lilly Joss Reich,"  ISBN 0-02-010110-4 and published before I, nevermind him, was born.

The fallout from his recipe was that I eagerly ate more than I usually do.  It was sweet and had a grease-flour component, but didn't cause me to double over from pain.  (I have negative feedback from most desserts, probably an ulcer-bacteria thing.)  I accused my husband of trying to kill me simply because I could eat them while they were probably bad for my overall health.




Recently, I made something based off of Pineapple-Raisin Cream Cheese Buns even though I was originally planning to do something based off of Blueberry Cream Cheese Braid.  I just couldn't get into a bread that required sitting overnight. 

Powidl Bushteln Complete Ingredients:
3/4 bar of butter, melted
1/4-1/3 cup sugar
1 egg plus one yolk
1/4 tsp salt
Grated rind of 1 lemon
Roughly three cups of flour
1 oz, yeast
3/4 cup milk
1 cup prune butter
1/2 bar of butter for basting



The dough recipe I followed was:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup milk, lukewarm  (1/4 cup powdered milk, use 1 cup body-temp water to revive yeast)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp yeast
 (The way I followed the recipe, I was trying to force another half-cup of water into whole-wheat flour dough under humid conditions... Hold back a cup of flour, and incorporate it during kneading.)


For the filling, I used about 2 cups whole cherries, crushed the pits out with my bare fingers, then boiled them in their own juice for several hours on low.  (The sugar was unnecessary.)  After they were rendered, I added about 6 ounces of reduced-fat cream cheese, turned off the heat, incorporated them and set the filling to chill. (I think 4 ounces cream cheese would have been enough.)

I let the dough rest, then divided the it into eight balls and flattened them, then encased a heaping-big spoonful of filling in the dough, while having 1/8 cup of filling left for spread.  I let them rest seam-down for another half-hour, then I basted the rolls in about a half cup of butter since the dough was feeling dry.  Two tablespoons of butter would have been enough.  I baked the rolls seam-down for about 20 minutes.

I stored these in the refrigerator and heated them in the microwave for about 30 seconds.  My husband accused me of wanting him to get fat.  The version I made has a richer filling than powidl, but the dough isn't as sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment